Saturday, April 21, 2007

Week of April 16th, in Review

This week has been much more work intense. All the big bosses are back in the office. David is back too and Kevin is home. And lots going on.

We've identified someone to assume my position for my Tyson's-based Healthcare Bus Ops job, so training began with that. April (my trainee) is fantastic, but with any teaching, it begins taking much more time to teach them simply do. She's picking up things quickly though, so transition should be fairly fast.

Also received the next RFP from the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, which needed immediate attention. If we win this work, it could mean long term work for me in DC, with only periodic trips to Chicago. That would start in Sept/Oct and be sensational. The UK project has expressed interest in keeping me long term (up to a year or more), but I have declined. I will likely be here through the summer, but will absolutely make no commitments past Labor Day at this time. I think we'll be able to figgit a bit with my travel schedule, so staying through August may be manageable. David's keeping pretty flexible, and he's currently the holder of our team's travel calendar. So if I can do this until then and then begin with the BSCSA work, it would be perfect. Prayers for God's will and perfect timing!

I've realized in all this that I need to really take even more advantage of living in Europe. On many a weekend (like this weekend) I just want to stay home and veg. Maybe see a bit in London, but time in the flat or just sitting in a park sounds wonderful after a hectic week. I can now understand the feelings of those on other more intense workstreams, my coworkers who've done so little since arriving in Nov. But talking to others, there are so many places in Europe I long to see, that I must take advantage. Only issue is, I'm a bit over traveling alone. I pray for travel companions to fun places, either BearingPoint teammates, Steph and Jason (my Vienna bride and groom), or some of you from home. Thinking of seeing Jess in Brussels once she settles in. Norway is supposed to be wonderful. Madrid, Aix au Provence (near Nice) and some other French areas, areas down in Greece, the Mediterranean... so much. And Labor Day seems very, very close if I'm only staying that long. Clearly the difference in cost and time for a hop from the UK to anywhere here in Europe, or Africa, or anywhere for that matter, is much more reasonable than from the US. Darn ocean!

This week though was not without fun unto itself. Sally (my flatmate) and I made it a regular routine to walk each night. We start out at our flat, cross Millennium Bridge to the Tate Modern, down to the Aquarium, across the bridge to Parliament and Big Ben, and home, coming right along the Thames through Embankment. Is a great route. About 4.5 miles. The view is amazing. Funny though, one night I had a late concall and wanted to make sure I wouldn't be late. Its common b/c of the time difference that we'll take a break around dinner and then come back to work at the flat until 10 or 11 our time, which is 5 or 6 your's. Anyway, I'd forgotten a watch and was worried of the time. All the while, we're walking towards Big Ben. DUH! Pretty funny moment when I realized that. By later in the week we were pretty humbled in our walks. The London Marathon is this weekend and the runners have begun to decend. We were finding ourselves getting lapped on a 4.5 mi trek! Oh my.

Friday I had a meeting in Leeds, about 2.5 hours north. Happens to be about 20 minutes from Jason, Steph's new husband (again, my Vienna wedding - he's not moving to Austria until June b/c of his UK job). Jason came to meet me and we had a very fun dinner, walked around a bit, and then stopped by the "Slug and Lettuce" for a drink before taking me back to the train. Slug and Lettuce is a big pub chain. I'd heard lots of it. Jason couldn't reconcile wanting to eat or drink in any place with 'slug' in the title, ha, ha. But it was awesome. Good atmosphere, music... I can see why so many like it. Must now visit the one in London. Oh! We walked by La Tasca. Jason said he'd always wanted to go there. I said I've been there many times. There's one in Arlington! Evidently, its an international chain. Never knew.

And then here I am at home, Saturday morning. They continue to work on the hotel next door, waking us up with jack hammers and nail hammers at 8AM. They suck! So much for sleeping in. Oh well, just laying here writing is nice too. Better though get to my other blogs. Its been a while. So today is some shopping in the market, maybe a trip to Woolworths (Target), then just time to relax. Park maybe? (If you're getting the impression I'm addicted to St. James Park... YOU'RE RIGHT! : ) ) Tomorrow is more relaxation, going out to cheer on the marathon and maybe a pub stop, and then church. Cheers all! Have a great one!

No comments: