Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Marathon!

I'm getting a little behind on my posts, but enjoying a relaxing morning in my own bed (back in VA) so thought I'd write a bit. I got home Wednesday night.

So... Last weekend, as I alluded in my last post, was planned for great relaxation. I spent most of Saturday morning writing, including completing another myspace blog/ devotional on rest. I'm expecting most of you that are reading this and would have an interest in that already have it but if you don't and you'd like it, let me know. I've been really convicted lately that my schedule is too tight and its having dramatic negative impacts on my health and my relationships. Time to make some changes. Oddly, its not even my travel to the UK that's the problem. Its me trying to do too much in DC and running ragged. I think its part of DC culture, a disease that we've all become inflicted with, yet we choose whether to get stuck in the rat wheel or jump off. Anyway... enough on that. Let me know if you want a copy.

Saturday afternoon we went to Westminster. Finally! got in. This was my third attempt in three years and each time until now it had been closed. We still arrived close to closing so didn't have but about an hour or so. It was still a brilliant time, as the building is just majestic. But I didn't remember how many people were buried there! It was cool and creepy all at the same time, ha, ha.

We did make our trip to Woolworths, which was more like a dollar store so not exactly what we were looking for. I've reconciled anything I want for a reasonable price I need to get in the US and carry over. Headed back to the flat, watched some Greys Anatomy on sling box and then napped and read some more. Saturday night we went out to this awesome bar on a boat on the Thames. Very fun! So beautiful, to be down on the Thames at night. Finished the evening at a swing dancing club in Piccidily Circus. We didn't dance, but it was a supper club atmosphere, so fun to just sit, listen to the music, and watch others.

Sunday was indeed marathon day. We watched for quite a while. Mile 24 was about three blocks from our flat. It was amazing to see the elites run through, especially the men. Unbelievable. And then we stayed to watch the "normal" people come through, including some fun folks in costumes as with any marathon. I give them all so much credit. I'd love to run more, but I just don't even see a marathon in my future.

I think I may have gotten a good pic of the elite men on my camera phone, but am having no luck getting it off! At mile 24, six guys were still neck and neck at an amazing clip. Two more were not far behind. We hear it went completely down to the wire, with some interesting mishaps at various points in the race making the conclusion unsure. They're calling it one of the best men's races in history. Martin Lel, a 28 year old Kenyan, would be the final winner. If you love marathons (which I'm starting to!) and want to read more, check out: http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/

Sunday night, back to Holy Trinity Brompton. Best service yet! AMAZING worship. I just can't get over this place. I'm actually bummed that I'll miss it this weekend and next b/c of Paris and then the next too b/c I'll be again back in the US. The sermon was on work life balance. Interesting given what I've been learning on rest. AND it turns out, I later went to listen to Lon's sermon from Sunday and it also happened to be on Sabbath. Trying to tell me something, God?

Monday it was hard to go back to work, but it was busy so went quickly. The highlight of my day though was a call from Evelyn, my neice. Kate and I got webcams a few weeks ago so Evelyn and I can talk (and see each other) over Skype. Its soooo cool. She's awesome and there's nothing more precious than a two year old telling you they love you and blowing you kisses through the webcam. : )

Tuesday - More work, lots of work, and packing.

Wednesday I flew home and excitedly met up with Mary, Jon, Matt, Nathan and Mike for dinner. A tremendous welcome home. They're such a blessing to me.

So the rest of the week I worked in Tyson's training my trainee, seeing some people and running errands at night, and today will be the same. Mom and Dad come this evening so we may have some DC adventures tomorrow. Back to the UK Tuesday night.

Have a great weekend all!

No comments: