Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas in London: The Grande Finale

My greatest Christmas wish was to have a magnificent and memorable final three weeks in London, week's I'd not soon forgot. I got that in every beautiful way. There was a bit of emotion and drama this week not worth going into (transitions and goodbyes can be complicated), but all and all, I feel so blessed and the good was worth every second of angst. I wouldn't go back and change a thing.

Monday started as a rough day (long story), but ended in the most wonderful and fun three hour phone conversation with one of my new UK friends. I've truly enjoyed getting to know folks this month, even if I can only keep them in my life for a short season.

Tuesday was Christmas at my flat. I'd brought a tree over all the way from the States and bought all sorts of twinkle lights to decorate all around. I cooked up a feast, in my silly little kitchen. Huge challenge, but I pulled it off! The night was a delight, with 13 of us just eating, drinking and enjoying one another's company. I'd be told later in the week that my party was far better than our company party, so that made me happy. I love to entertain. I love people having fun in my home.

Wednesday I met up with a friend for what we hoped would be a night at this fun Belgian restaurant, but I guess we're 0:2. This is the same friend from the failed jazz event, ha, ha. Instead, we wondered about. I was hankering Mexican, and then out of no where, there it was! We had a great night, with decent food, amazing drinks (best coffee of my life!), and of course really good company/conversation. I finished the evening with my final stroll down The Thames. Its one of my favorites of London.

I was happy on Thursday that work was quite busy, because it kept me from realizing that it was my last day in London. I continued to be torn between excitement to be home with family and friends and a desperate sadness over leaving London and my new friends. It was good to have no time to think too hard about it. Its never good to think too much on such struggles.

Thursday night, I truly ended my stay with a bang. It was the BearingPoint Christmas Party. We all dressed to the 9's. The guys wore tuxes and all looked so handsome! The party itself was only ok (they'd canceled the dancing!), but we found a way to still have a good laugh (though it did involved a small fire, ha, ha). When it ended at midnight, we decided we sure weren't done and HAD to get our dance on. 10 of us went to Tiger Tiger, a club in Leicester Square. Almost 30 more BE people would meet up with us later for a crazy night until 3AM. Drinks, laughs, and lots of dance. It was a wonderful way to close out with my friends (and I made a few more!).

Got home at almost four and it was time to pack. I can't believe I got my whole flat packed in three hours! Then home...

Its now Saturday. I've been home a day. Its good to be home. I miss London, and especially a few key friends, but I'm where I'm meant to be and eager to see all my friends here tonight. I think it will be shock to my system in a few weeks when I don't go back, but I have so many memories to treasure, that though I can't be there, each thought of London and my time there will always make me smile.

No comments: