Thursday, August 30, 2007

Belgium! July 20-22

I’d thought about visiting Belgium for some time, but I don’t think I expected to enjoy it so much. Its one of those places you hear little about, so you don’t know what’s in store. With Jessica there though, it just seemed the right place to visit now, especially as the Eurostar makes it so easy.

I arrived on a Friday night and ducked right out to where Jess was staying. Had a lovely evening with her and two of her friends before an early turn it. We had a busy day planned the next day.

We started early to Brugge. Everyone had said it’s so wonderful, so we were eager for a full day there. It wasn’t long until our first chocolate shop and visits to lots of lace shops. Beautiful lace. We visited a church with a Michelangelo sculpture. It was incredibly moving, a statue of Mary holding Jesus as a toddler. We took a horse and carriage ride around town. We took a boat ride through town (its kinda like Venice). Saw lots of beautiful sites. The center of town is almost like a gingerbread village.

Returned to Brussels in the evening to meet up with some other of Jessica’s friends. Had a lovely dinner where I actually found a beer that I like! Strange, huh? So yum. Lace, beer, chocolate, waffles – Is this place cool or what? : ) After dinner we walked around Brussels. Lots of cool little shops. We hung out in the Grand Place. I love the Grand Place. It’s truly an amazing place. As the sun went to sleep, we went up to a park to see some fireworks. I love fireworks!

Jess and her friends went back where she’s staying but I opted to stay in a hotel in the center of Brussels, right near the Grand Place. It could not have been a more perfect location and a delightful little place. I went back to the Grand Place to just sit and people watch until 1AM. Met a nice guy from Spain. We chatted for a bit and then I went back to the hotel for some shut eye.

The next morning I walked around a bit, checking out a cathedral and then went on a formal tour all over Brussels. Good stuff. Then I had a delightful lunch of mussels (another Belgium specialty) and chips. Met up with Jess to stroll more about town, see some sites and do some last minute shopping before returning to London. Oh! And one last wonderful waffle!

It was good to get some time with Jessica. She’s at the point in her stay in Brussels where she’s happy to be there, but still getting adjusted and a little homesick. Goodness, I sure know how that feels. Being with her and having fun joking around was just a neat break, like a taste of home. Each time I get to experience Europe with a friend from home is a special blessing.

I’d chosen to go First Class on Eurostar. Great call. Travel at its most spoiled. Had a delightful ride home, just relaxing and savoring the great weekend I’d had.

Here’s pics!

No comments: