Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wimbledon Day One, Part One

Live from Wimbledon!

I’ve discovered that I absolutely LOVE TENNIS!!! Yes, for any of you who’ve seen me play, my play is desperate, but I am most certainly a very good court observer!

Yesterday Amy and I awoke about half five to ready and out the door by just after six. Arriving at Wimbledon just before seven, we joined the queue. With much excitement, we looked out our queue numbers, 914 and 915. We knew there would be 6000 grounds passes available and about 1000 show court tickets. Yeah!!!

It was around 9AM when we then began to be graced by the tangible hand of God. Down the line came staff to pass out wrist bands for each court. The two people in front of us got the last two bands for Court 2, the last of the show courts. There would be plenty of other matches to watch, but I had my heart set on Court 1. Would have been happy with Court 2, but really hoped for Court 1, with Roddick (3) and Gimelstob (both Americans) in the first and Henin (1) in the second. Henin has a good shot to take it all for the women. Disappointed, but still content, we continued toward the ticket windows.

Someone had mentioned that some times individuals acquire court bands but then don’t actually purchase. Possibly we still had a chance for at least Court 2. At least that would mean we could see Serena Williams and Hingis (though I’ve seen them both before… at the US Open). Yeah… wish I could go to more matches. This was my third Wimbledon and I’ve been to the US Open once. French Open maybe someday? Australian?

Anyway… we get to the booth and I enquire. The young lady assisting us went to check with a manager. She came back with regrets. BUT… then just as she was handing me my ground ticket, her manager came in to the booth. “We do have tickets for obstructed view Court 1. Would that be of any interest?” YAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see, I’d been PRAYING and PRAYING. So hard, you have no idea. Seems so silly to pray for something like this, but recently listened to an old Lon sermon who says not to brush things off. Just pray and believe. I actually did. All morning I’d been praying and oddly I really did believe some how we’d get in to Court 1. And we did! Not to mention that b/c it was obstructed view, we got the tickets half price AND there wasn’t really even anything obstructed in our view. These were AWESOME seats! You must see the pics to see how brilliant they truly were.



Ok… very tired. Enough writing for today. Stay tuned and I’ll tell you more soon!

No comments: