Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Rest of May

The rest of may was much less eventful.

During the week, I worked hard and we went out to the occaisional decent meal. I was having a lot of trouble sleeping so was a little off kilter. Emotional and homesick a lot. Kevin was in town for a week though, and being the champ he is, he took good care of me and we had a fun time.

Checked out a "Pastorate" at Holy Trinity Bromptom. I thought it was going to be like a small group or bible study... but it was worship followed by a talk. Wasn't real impressed by the talk. HTB is much more charismatic than I believed. Not sure what I think of that. Need to explore more. Everyone was perfectly nice, but didn't really connect with anyone. That was a HUGE disappointment. Probably added to the home sickness. There's just nothing like FNBS. I'm thankful for my Christian friends at home. I have one coworker, Jovan, who is a believer, but it would be nice to have just one girl friend here that knows the Lord.

BUT I did get my fix for a great gal friend the third weekend in May. Stephanie (Avey) Shafer, my friend originally from DC, now in Vienna, Austria, was in the UK for the weekend. Her new husband was still living in Harrogate (near York and Leeds) so I traveled up there to meet them. Harrogate is a delightful little town. And we had a wonderful weekend. I stayed at a brilliant hotel, the Yorkshire. Jason came to pick me up when I got in and we went to their UK wedding reception. Met some great folks. That was Friday night. Saturday I slept in and then went strolling around town. Found a beautiful little park and the Shafers (who'd slept in ever more!) met me there. We then went out to lunch at a wonderful little English cafe. Yummm. They had to go pack, so I strolled a bit longer and then got back on the train. But, having to switch in York, I took a bit more time there and toured around. Neat city. Lots of history. But I forgot how bit! My hoofs were killing me. Back home to London for a relaxing evening.

The next day I slept in again but then went to the National Gallery for an art visit. Saw the Sunflowers and a Seurat that I love. Wonderful, leisurely day. Then off to HTB for church. The Pastorate made me feel funny about things... but I still simply love the worship there. God is present, no doubt.

Later that week I went home and it was off to a great week in the Outer Banks!

No comments: