Friday, June 29, 2007

Wimbledon Day Four

Day Three I’d been prodding my coworker, Brian, to come with me. He had a late meeting so terribly disappointed, he had to decline. I think he was slightly thrilled that it was a rain out, so he couldn't be so bummed. AND because he knew he’d have a better chance to coax me to head out again for Day 4.

So Thursday morning, when he began to prod me, it didn’t take much (as he knew it wouldn’t)to get me to go. Again, left work around 4PM and joined the famous queue!

This queue was MUCH longer than days before, but we still were in the grounds by about six, hurried to the resale queue, and off to see tennis on Court 2 by 6:30.

Brian actually went to see some doubles matches on another court first, but I was excited to race to see Amelie Mauresmo, the reining female Champion of Wimbledon. It could be a tight run between Henin and Mauresmo for this year’s title. And if they both make it to the final, it will be an exact rematch of last year. Amelie was incredible to watch. So powerful and athletic yet with a touch of grace. She easily took out her opponent in two sets.

Then it was time for me to see some doubles. Brian caught up with me on Court 2 to see the team of Eric Butorac (USA - who I met) playing with the UK's own Jamie Murray (brother of the famous Andy Murray) against Hernandez (ESP) and Starace (ITA). Our boys won easily in three sets. They too were fun to watch. Then we went to Court 3 to see USA boys Amer Delic and Bobby Reynolds playing fairly well known Baghdatis (CYP) and Wawrinka (SUI). Again, my US boys take it. Took some effort though, so we got to see four fun sets. Yeah!!!

The sun began to set and it was time to go home. Did I mention I love it here?

Brian mocked me as I looked around Wimbledon, in my own way, saying my goodbyes for the year. That would be my last day of this Wimbledon. Ah… it was like a dream. Or maybe just a small sliver of heaven God blessed me with this week. This trip to the UK was the best yet. A few good days with Kevin, a few good days with Amy, and a few good days with Wimbledon. God is good.

And as far as Wimbledon, maybe next year, my friend. Maybe next year.


No comments: