Friday, June 29, 2007

Wimbledon Day Three

Worked on Wednesday, but cut out just after 4PM to get my tennis fix. Trekked out to Wimbledon and joined the queue, which because of lots of rain, was fairly manageable. Got in quite quickly, raced off to the resale queue, and then I waited. Henman was up again on Center Court, so there was a pretty large queue. But because of the rain delays, I was able to get tickets for Court 1, where Federer (men’s #1) would be wrapping up and Court 2, where American Blake was playing. I was THRILLED!!

Many times it looked like the rain would clear. The wait was fine. Just being on the grounds is an amazing experience. Went to the shop, got some fish and chips and walked around. Unfortunately everyone had the same idea, so it seemed I’d spend the evening merely jumping from queue to queue. Hopefully, I took my fish and chips and headed to Court 1. The clouds were clearly and we all applauded anxiously. Being cautious, the refs held off a bit longer. To pass the time, the crowd started a wave, which went around about six times and then switched directions for two. Pretty funny. Quite common in footie, but a little untraditional for Wimbledon. But heck, we were having fun and that was all that mattered. We all began to cheer wildly as they dropped and rolled back the court cover. You could feel the tension. And then… THE HEAVEN’S OPENED!!!

Oh my, so much rain. I sat there for a few minutes (I had my full sailing foul weather gear on, pants and all), but then as my rucksack looked like it was going to float away, I headed for cover. Another fun thing about Wimbledon is meeting all sorts of great folks. It really is an event you can go to alone and have a magnificent time, none the less. I chatted for a bit with one of the guardies. Nice chap. And then over the loud speaker, they called the rest of the evening cancelled.

Somehow the evening though didn’t feel like a wash. I still had had three brilliant hours on the grounds of the most magnificent tennis club in the world. Just can’t get enough!

No comments: