Saturday, November 10, 2007

A "Monumental" Day - Oct 10

Nana and I returned to DC Tuesday night and just relaxed. Wednesday we began the day with a delightful breakfast with Mary and Martine. I was thrilled to have them meet my grandmother and her them. Then... we headed downtown.

Nana hadn't meet in DC since the early 70's! A lot had changed. I began a tour around all the memorials. We started with FDR, then walked around the Tidal Basin (viewing the Jefferson, but we didn't go there). Next was WW2.

I'd not yet been to the WW2 Memorial. I was overwhelmed by its beauty... and the significance of seeing it for the first time with my grandmother. You see, my grandfather fought in the Pacific during WW2. He was not killed in battle (we were blessed to have many, many years with him), but the sacrifices he still made... and so many others, killed in battle and those that would survive, really struck me. I too often take our freedoms for granted. Its impossible to do that at a memorial like this.

We spent quite a while at this memorial (see pics below), but then off to others. We went to Vietnam (again quite touching) and then Lincoln. From there we went to the Korean War Memorial. I've always thought that one was a bit creepy, but maybe its because the layout almost takes you back there with them. Yes, for certain that day made me appreciate what our servicemen have done for us... and are doing for us right now.

From there we went back to the car to drive by the White House, The Capital, then over to Arlington Cemetery. We finished our tour at Iwo Jima... and then to Coastal Flats for dinner.

It was a monumental day for many reasons. Of course, it was a day of monuments. But it was also a great day to celebrate our country and remember those who'd fought for it. Possibly however most of all, it was because for the first time, my Nana actually got to come to DC to see me, my home, and the area I call so dear. Yeah!

Click here for a picture review of our day...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21648605@N05/sets/72157603480294522/

No comments: