Saturday, November 10, 2007

St. Paul's - Sept 29th

This weekend, I stayed local and low key... especially as I'm still recovering from my whirlwind spin of Spain. Started the day at Borough Market. I love the Market... your traditional European market. Ran some other errands and then met Scott and Christine back at the flats. We were booked to take a tour of St. Paul's.

Ironically, by now, I'd been in London, living across the street from the Cathedral for six months, but only spent about 15 minutes inside. It was time.

The tour lasted over an hour and we heard amazing history about it. For example, the dome is fake. Its really a cone, with flying buttresses, and a dome overlay. And the way its designed, creates a whispering gallery, where you can whisper on one side and be heard on the other. Wild.

We went all the way to the top and the view from outside is spectacular. You can see throughout the whole of central London.

After our tour, I went and just sat to stare up into the dome for a bit. It just about takes your breath away. So majestic. Its as if you can feel all the presence of God's glory, his power, his awesomeness, his might.

Scott and I decided to stay for the Saturday night service. It was lovely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.